Sunday, January 2, 2011

Dark days

There are people that look forward to Christmas and New Years Eve for months. In August, they take a cookbook and sit down in the sun to contemplate about Christmas dinner. Half way through October, their presents are packed and hidden away in their closets, and they bought their new outfit in last years sale so they are dying to show off their new clothes in the restaurant around the corner, where the rest of the neighborhood also made reservations. They exist. People who rub their hands and genuinely smile when they say they're looking forward for winter and shorter days.

Then, there are people who don't look forward to all of this. Those who get nervous by the thought of December. The ones who run through supermarkets on the twenty fourth of December, with red spots in their face and neck, who hope that they will make it in time to buy all the presents they need in the two hours that are remaining, and also have time to get some food for dinner in the same time. Those are people who are stressed when they enter a restaurant because they don't want to sit next to certain family members. People that can't wait for January to start, so they finally can start with their new resolutions.

And then there is a third group. Those are the ones that don't function very well in these days of the year. They cannot run, nor can they be prepared for everything. Because it's all too much of an effort. I think I belong to this group. I buy my presents just in time and am lucky that others think about my food for Christmas dinner. I don't have any family members that I realy need to avoid. So in the end, I just let it all happen to me.

The best way to get through these days for my group is to hide. As soon as I am not expected to attend a party anymore, I go in retreat. At home, or in movie theatres, where I lose myself in other peoples stories. First, I sleep in until unacceptable times, just because it's possible, then, I mess about with the curtains still closed. Only when dusk settles in, I dare to go outside, but only if I can be tucked away under a cap or hat, so I can keep all the extra light out. I only feel safe again in the dark venue of the theatre, where the light of the projection brings distraction and entertainment.

For everyone wh knows exactly what I'm talking about, and for those who just like the cinema as much as Christmas, I have some tips: Go see Potiche, if you like French comedy with Gerard Depardieu and Catherine Deneuve. But don't expect a normal French film! Another Year is also a lovely film, by Mike Leigh, where perfect happiness is complemented with the misery of others. A heartbreaking film that is also beautiful and full of love. For good old fashion American entertainment, about an almost very normal American family, go to The Kids Are All Right. Because this family isn't as normal as you'd think, and all prejudices are both confirmed and denied.

Another tip: let yourself go! Laugh if you want to! It doesn't matter if it's because of recognition or because of surprise. Or pity or self-pity. Don't hold back because of the other people in the venue. I have had the best time ever with complete strangers, over the last few days. Isn't that what the holidays are all about: being together?

Potiche


Another Year


The Kids Are All Right

No comments:

Post a Comment