Thursday, February 24, 2011

Big Apple

It's easy to dwell in beautiful fantasies about adventures, important events or other future and maybe one day completed projects. But to actually start them, is something completely different.

So it was fairly easy for me, two years ago, to decide to live in New York a year later (2010). I imagined myself drinking coffee with friends in one of the thousand coffee shops, working in a place with a view on Manhattan, and being bored in the subway in the morning, just like all the other commuters on their way to work. After I made this decision, I floated from happiness because I was there again. Half a year earlier, I arrived for the first time, fell in love, and decided to return. On my second visit, I would become emotional every time I realized what decision I just made. This city was about to become my home!

When I returned in Amsterdam, it all wasn't as easy as I hoped. Even trying to figure out all options, cost a lot of time and effort and actually was discouraging. Although, in my mind, I still could see myself drinking coffee with new friends, I found myself biking through Amsterdam, that suddenly looked more beautiful and sunnier than ever. Over the last two years, my love for the city blossomed again, for the cafes and theatres where I drink coffee with friends, for the fact that I can go anywhere by bike, for my work and work location. Well, for the life that I'm living.

Which is always a good time to step back for a while. Not for always, not that long, but long enough to really be away and try other things. Without a job, without a goal. I'm going to drink coffee in New York. I'm going to write, film and live. And if the writing and filming won't actually happen, I'm just going to be there. Because I can. Because my fantasies have become reality, though in a smaller version, and thanks to a lot of people.

The most important lesson? keep fantasizing, but also act! Because who knows, dreams can come true.

Talking Big Apple '75

No comments:

Post a Comment